- Metal-framed wall and floor cavity wall assemblies
- Wood-framed wall, floor and roof/ceiling cavity wall assemblies
- Furring strips installed on the interior surface of basement walls
- Interior surfaces of basement and unvented crawl space foundation walls
Akawell rock wool is a preformed, flexible blanket insulation. It is produced in R-values from 11 to 40, with thicknesses ranging from 3-1⁄2 inches to 8 inches. It is available unfaced, or faced with either a kraft or foil vapor retarder.
• Brand: AK-Flex • Model No.: AK00201
• Thickness: 40mm~200mm • R-Value: 11 ~ 40
• Type: Insulation Fiber Wool • Package: PP & PE vacuum
• Certificate: CE, SGS, ISO, BV, A1, AS/NZ • Width: 600mm, 1,200mm
• Density(kg/m3): 10, 12, 16, 20, 24, 32, 40, 48, 64, 96 • Color: Yellow, Black, Red, Pink
• Metal-framed wall and floor cavity wall assemblies
• Wood-framed wall, floor and roof/ceiling cavity wall assemblies
• Furring strips installed on the interior surface of basement walls
• Interior surfaces of basement and unvented crawl space foundation walls
R means resistance to heat flow. The higher the R-value, the greater the insulating power. Compare insulation R-values before you buy. There are other factors to consider. The amount of insulation you need depends mainly on the climate you live in. Also, your fuel savings from insulation will depend on the climate, the type and size of house, the amount of insulation already in your house, and your fuel-use patterns and family size. If you buy too much insulation, it will cost you more than what you’ll save on fuel. To get the marked R-value, it is essential that this insulation be installed properly.
Property(unit) Test Value
Thermal Resistance ASTM C518 See “Availability” table for R-values
Surface Burning Characteristics** ASTM E 84 / UL 723
(flame spread / smoke developed)
Unfaced 25 / 50
Kraft faced NR / NR
Foil faced 75 / 150
Critical Radiant Flux (W/cm2) ASTM E970 >0.12
Water Vapor Permeance (perms). ASTM E96
Kraft faced 1.0
Foil faced 0.5
Water Vapor Sorption(by weight) ASTM C1104 <5%
Odor Emission ASTM C1304 Pass
Corrosion Resistance ASTM C665, part 13.8 Pass
Fungi Resistance ASTM C1338 Pass
**The surface burning characteristics of AK-Flex. Insulation were derived from products tested in accordance with ASTM E84. This standard is used solely to measure and describe properties of products in response to heat and flame under controlled laboratory conditions, and should not be used to describe or approve the fire hazard of materials under actual fire conditions. However, the results of these tests may be used as elements of a fire risk assessment that takes into account all of the factors pertinent to an assessment of the fire hazard of a particular end use. Values are reported to the nearest five rating.
- For optimum insulation performance the building thermal barrier (insulation) should be in continual alignment with the building air barrier. In framed cavities, the product thickness should match the depth of the framing members.
- Follow the local, applicable building code(s) to determine the need for and placement of a vapor retarder.
- Do not install insulation on top, or within 3 inches of a recessed light fixture unless the fixture is labeled as “insulation contact” (IC) rated.
- Kraft and standard foil facings will burn and cannot be left exposed. Install facings in substantial contact with the assembly finish material. Protect from open flame or other heat source.
Width Length Thickness R-Value
16” 24” 48” 96” 3-1/2” 11
(406mm) (609mm) (1,219mm) (2,438mm) (89mm)
Metal Frame 16” 24” 48” 96” 3-1/2” 13
Construction (406mm) (609mm) (1,219mm) (2,438mm) (89mm)
16” 24” 96” 3-1/2” 15
(406mm) (609mm) (2,438mm) (89mm)
16” 24” 96” 5-1/2” 21
(406mm) (609mm) (2,438mm) (139mm)
11” 93” 105” 3-1/2” 11
(406mm) (2,362mm) (2,667mm) (89mm)
11” 93” 3-1/2” 13
(406mm) (2,362mm) (89mm)
11” 105” 3-1/2” 15
(406mm) (2,667mm) (89mm)
11” 93” 6-1/4” 19
(406mm) (2,362mm) (159mm)
12” 48” 9-1/2”
AK-Flex Fiberglass Insulation in steel stud wall framing
Install AK Flex Insulation in accordance with manufacturer’s recommendations and not before the exterior sheathing has been installed on one side of the stud cavity and sealed to be water resistant.
Protect insulation from damage due to weather and physical abuse until protected by permanent construction.
Fit full cavity width AK Flex Insulation tightly into exterior wall steel stud cavity spaces and framing voids to create a continuous insulation layer without gaps. Trim to fill spaces and voids neatly. Fluff insulation to full thickness for specified R-value before installation. Do not compress insulation.
Within exterior wall framing, install AK Flex Insulation between pipes, mechanical services, electrical boxes, and backside of sheathing. Cut or split insulation material as required to fit around wiring and plumbing.
If the insulation is faced, install the factory applied facing with vapor retarder membrane facing the warm side of building spaces. Facing flanges (tabs) should be unfolded and lapped over framing members. Tabs do not require additional taping or sealing if laid flat over the face of the steel studs as the gypsum board when screwed down will adequately compress the tabs together against the face of the stud.
Maintain vapor retarder integrity by tightly abutting adjacent insulation. Repair punctures or tears in vapor retarder facing by taping with a vapor retarding tape. Follow tape manufacturer’s application recommendations.